Sunday, December 14, 2014


CHRISTMAS MUSIC RECOMMENDATION



Every year from Thanksgiving to Christmas I listen almost exclusively to Christmas music.  I find that it helps me get in the Christmas spirit and I just like Christmas music.  I've been doing this for many years so by this time I have a bunch of Christmas CD and I would like to recommend one that I discovered last year and am really enjoying this year.  
It is by the Christian acapella jazz group Take 6 called The Most Wonderful Time of the Year.  
If you have never heard of Take 6, they are a group of six African-American men who sing jazz-like original Christian songs without any instrumental accompaniment (most of the time, some of their albums do have instruments).  Their eponymous debut album was released in 1988 (which IMO is one of the greatest Christian albums of all time) and they went on to release several albums through the years winning Grammy Awards along the way.  In fact, when they debuted in 1988, they were nominated for the Grammy Award for Best New Artist which almost never happens for a Christian group.
This album is, in fact, their third Christmas album that they have released (their first Christmas album, He is Christmas is also a really great album) and it came out in 2010 and although I'm a fan, I didn't even know it was out until last year when I saw it at the B&N where I work.
Here is the tracklist for The Most Wonderful Time of the Year:
  1. "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year"
  2. "White Christmas
  3. "Grinch Introduction/ The Grinch/"You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch"
  4. "Sleigh Ride"
  5. "I'll Be Home for Christmas"
  6. "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear"
  7. "The Sugarplum Dance (Dance of the Sugarplum Fairy)"
  8. "I Saw Three Ships"
  9. "Jingle Bells"
  10. "Christmas Time Is Here"
You really must hear this album to appreciate it because Take 6's vocals are so layered and spot-on, it will take your breath away.

Here is a short preview video of a couple of the songs so you can sample that signature Take 6 sound:

No comments:

Post a Comment