Friday, August 28, 2015


THE GREATEST FILM PERFORMANCE OF ALL TIME


A couple of years ago this month, I blogged about the movie, Gone With the Wind and that, in my opinion, it is the finest and greatest movie ever made.
In addition to the reasons I outlined in my above post, there is another reason I regard GWTW so highly.  It is because of the performance by Vivien Leigh as Scarlett O'Hara.  In my opinion, Leigh delivers the greatest performance by an actor in any film ever made (including both male and female).  It is this mesmerizing performance that holds the film together and elevates it from the soap-opera melodrama that could have enveloped the film.
And this got me thinking...
If Leigh gives us the greatest performance by any actor, and accordingly, the greatest female film performance of all time, who would give the greatest male film performance of all time?
I think I would have to say that, IMO, the greatest male film performance was given by Peter O'Toole in Lawrence of Arabia.  No other film so depends upon its leading man to carry the film and no actor shows the incredible range in one film that O'Toole supplies in Lawrence.
In thinking about this subject, I ran across a blog that gives a list of the Top 100 Female and Male Film Performances of All Time and might provide some perspective to this topic.
Check it out here:



No comments:

Post a Comment